Friday 8 April 2011

Prezi as an education tool - analysis

This takes a couple of seconds to wake up, but you'll see why, and I think you'll agree it's worth it.  Click on the play button (centre, bottom), or better still, click on more and choose full screen. You choose the speed of the presentation by pressing play when you want to move on.  You can move backwards too, zoom in, click and drag, etc.  The videos (and hyperlinks) you see are fully-functional too, so click play (and pause and stop, etc, if you've had enough).


Now that's a bit better, hey?

Ok, so I didn't have time to learn to use Prezi's functions to capacity, including things like larger text, rotations (that make you dizzy), etc, but was very impressed that Prezi enabled me to simply import the PowerPoint (ppt) slides I'd already created.  Ok, so they lost the embedded videos, but the hyperlinks remained.  I just inserted videos into the Prezi.  Easy. 

http://www.simonforward.co.uk/
I think with more practice Prezi could easily be my preference over ppt, but in the meantime, instead of familiarity breeding my comtempt as in the last couple of technology groups, knowing my way around ppt (and similar Office tools) means it'd be quicker and easier (and therefore more likely) for me to use ppt in school. 

As you'll no doubt agree by comparing this post with those relating to Google Docs (and DocStoc), Prezi wins hands down in terms of its functionality online.  Gold star.

Both Prezi (and Glogster - see my later blog post) programs state they are not for use by children under 18 without parental consent (which should be obtained as a safety net by teachers encouraging their use), due to the security and privacy risks.  Unlike Glogster, Prezi does not ask for a date of birth, but does require an education-based email login, and refers teachers to www.gaggle.net. Legal, Ethical and Safe Practices Blog.
www.gaggle.net enables the setting up of multiple email addresses for pupils, which perhaps should be done from day one in Grade 1 and maintained throughout the year.  Gaggle enables drilling down and review of all student emails and content as well as providing a host of content filters and other protections, enhancing legal, ethical and safe practices.
See further discussion in my

No comments:

Post a Comment